Sunday, July 29, 2012

Glowing Forest

The forest dream painting is coming together well now that I have a goal to enter it in the National Arts Program exhibit at the Lubbock Garden and Arts Center in October. So here is what I have done so far!

The first step in my work is to lay down overall color in acrylic to get an idea of what I want. 



I have been working on this for a few sittings now so I have a few more process shots. After laying the color glaze in acrylic, I use oil paint to create a solid foundation to build on. Once that dries the glazing process can begin. I like to thin the oil paint to a transparent consistency and then overlay the colors. This creates a very soft blend that seems to glow after multiple layers. It also decreases the drying time, which with oils can be pretty long.


To incorporate the dreamer in the piece, I have decided to try something different and float a cut-out figure over the piece to look as if the sleeper is falling through the dream. I used mat board and an exacto blade to cut out the shape and then applied gesso to both sides to stabilize it.




No comments:

Post a Comment